Saturday 11 May 2013

Do you remember teaching your very first yoga class?

Sivana Yoga Shambhala, Quepos, Costa Rica (Nov, 2008)


I was living in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica, completing my English as a Second Language (ESL) Teaching Course with TEFL International.  On my time off, I hung out at the beach, trying to avoid the hawkers, took photos of the sun setting over the ocean (still a novelty for me living on the East coast of Australia!) and went to yoga.  It was run by a lovely expat American lady, whom I can't for the life of me remember her name, who had a lovely yoga studio above a bar!  She had a young son who went to the local school and needed to take an evening off.  I had been attending her class for a few weeks and in her desperation, she randomly asked me to "cover" for her! I told her I wasn't qualified to teach and she was all like, you know how to do the poses, you'll be fine, do whatever you like...

At the end of the class and after a sleepless night with a hastily put together sequence of poses, a student approached me at the end of the class and said: "Thanks for a great class. How long have you been teaching yoga for?" I looked at her stony-faced and was all like, "um, ah, this was my first ever class". Best. Feeling. Ever.


THAT was how I lost my yoga-teaching virginity! 




This is the beautiful yoga teacher who had faith in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment